Thursday, November 5, 2009

To vice, or not to vice....

I always thought it was funny when hubby would say "we all need a vice, it's a gauge of how we are coping" . Suddenly I realize how very true that is. I don't believe we NEED a vice but most of do have them. Some obviously worse than others. My hubby unfortunately has a few but the biggest is his drinking. Coming from a long history of alcoholics but not having been raised by one, anyone can see that there is something to the genetic factor when it comes to addiction and alcoholism. That's another blog.

So what are my vices? I eat. That of course is the American way. I drink Diet coke. You should see how antsy I get when we are out. I watch Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean a lot. Probably more than what is healthy but I really like watching them when I am down. Hey, Johnny Depp is hilarious and Orlando Bloom is incredibly hot.

So because they are vices, should I be trying to stop them? I can see if I was a drinker or smoker and it was hurting me physically or my family but if my vices are simply self gratifying is there a need to overcome them just for the sake of not having a vice. Is it a sign of moral weakness to not want to conquer them?

Hmmm...food for thought. So I'm going to go have a diet coke and a candy bar and think this over.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, such an interesting post... definitely food for thought. I think my vice is my perfectionism-- which tends to OCD. It defines a lot of who I am and what I do; I think knowing its a problem and accepting it-- rather than trying to battle against it-- is right for me. I do think "vices" are ok for people; they give our personalities depth.

    ~Elizabeth
    http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete