Monday, November 23, 2009

Candle making 1-2-3

I read an article in a popular magazine about how to make your own candles cheap and easy. You buy some wax, wick material and fragrance from your local craft store, find a container or glass you like, melt the wax, add fragrance and dye, pour and voila, a perfect candle. 


Ummm......not quite. Boy are people going to be in for a big surprise. Anyone can do that for sure. And with some luck, your candle will look really good. And then you light it and find that you have a flame thrower or a wick that stays lit for a short period of time or tunnels down quickly leaving a huge amount of wax on the sides or one that does not smell at all. There is a lot more to making a good candle that smells awesome and lasts a long time than making one that just looks nice. I found that out the hard way when I first started. 


It took months and lots of money for me to make one really awesome candle and then many more months and money to perfect it. Even then, things are always changing and you have to continue testing your products to make sure that they safe and still the quality you pride yourself in making.  Just like anything, you can do it the easy way or do it the right way.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you make candles.

    I usually buy those Yankee candles and they can get expensive so I wish I could make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With time, money and patience you can make you own. Watch out though, it can be addictive.

    ReplyDelete