Thursday, October 29, 2009

Well, La-ti-da!

My office recently switched to a new phone system with new phones included. We are moving up in the world. Unfortunately it has not gone too smoothly with some of my older coworkers. One in particular who wears hearing aides. She is great person but she has always been a little lacking on the good communication side of the receptionist job. She can't hear well and at times when she doesn't understand something she can get very frustrated. You can't help her either! She gets very defensive if you try to help her. So I've taken to listening and trying not to let my embarrassment show.

Yesterday while I was checking a client out this receptionist answered the phone and in a very, VERY loud voice:

HELLO, THIS IS JUDY, HOW CAN I HELP YOU!

HELLO!

PARDON?

I'M SORRY?

WHY ARE YOU CALLING?

DO YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY??? HELLOOOOO?

WHAT THE????

I'M SORRY, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP!!!!

Apparently at this point the poor caller had enough of the yelling and just hung up. Judy slams down the phone.

WELL, LA-TI-DA, I GUESS WHATEVER THEY WANTED WASN'T IMPORTANT BECAUSE THEY HUNG UP ON ME! I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS!

The phone starts ringing again and I pick it up and ask them to hold. A voice on the other line says "Sure but PLEASE don't pass me over to Judy, I think there is something wrong with her!"

I almost fell out of my chair laughing.









No comments:

Post a Comment