Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super-mom, I am not.


One mom wrote on facebook how because of the storm and the fact she was ill, she let her 1 year old watch three baby einstein DVD's and now she is upset that she did something wrong. All of the other moms rushed to tell her how they did something similar and it was Ok if it was just this one time or told there own horror stories. Huh?

Ok, so it got me thinking and thinking. While all of the moms are timing the amount of TV there kids are watching, going to mommy and me classes, playing games and doing crafts for hours on end, chatting with other mommies online about everything from what there kids are eating to the color of their poop....... I'm not.

In fact, I hate playing kids games. I don't participate in mommy and me classes or chat online about my kids constantly. I just can't. The TV is on all of the time because I like to watch TV while I work. My kids eat sugar. Unless my kids have diarrhea, I'm not interested in their poop. I work outside the home three days a week because I love my job. And when I'm home, I'm working on candles or soap and studying for my vet assistant program.  My kids go to public school and I'm Ok with that. I don't wake up every morning with plans and programs to keep my kids on a schedule, stimulated and educated.

I contemplated on whether or not this made me a bad mom. Do I have to like doing those things to be a good mom? Does that fact I don't mean there is something wrong with me? Growing up, my life was a living hell. One I would never wish on anyone else due to my mentally ill adopted mother. My kids are smart. They eat well and they are very active. They have great imaginations and they have parents who love them with all of our hearts. Is that enough or am I letting them down by not being one of the super-moms? Will I know before it's too late? And what about my sanity, is having a sane and happy mom not also a good thing? Is there a real answer to this timeless question? 

No comments:

Post a Comment