Sunday, December 26, 2010

I am what I am. Now pass me some spinach!

I am a vegetarian. GASP! I don't eat meat for my own personal reasons and beliefs. I don't preach or judge others. I don't belong to PETA and I don't glare at you as you chomp on your hamburger. (unless you are a noisy and messy eater) I never insist you make me something without meat, I just eat sides or politely pass and eat later. If you invite me to dinner at your house, I will tell you so that there is no embarrassment later. I just don't eat meat. So why on earth am I not able to eat in peace? Why am I being judged, looked down on and questioned every time I say, "No thanks, I'm a vegetarian." ? Why? I understand curiosity. I will gladly answer your questions. But if I already have answered them many times then your questions become simple harassment. Especially if you are a family member who insists on questioning me loudly every single time we sit down to eat. Frankly, it's rude. I know you don't care or you would have heard and accepted my answer the last twenty times you asked me.

I am not an alien so please don't look at me like I have 3 eyes or antenna growing from my head. I am not a zealot who is trying to convert you. I am not a snob who thinks I am better than you. (unless I am) So please, just let me eat my tofu and veggies in peace.

2 comments:

  1. I was a vegetarian for almost a year. I gave it up (long story not necessary for this comment) and I too received MANY questions and LOOKS). I think anyone who has anything "different" about them gets those questions and I depending on my mood and the person asking the questions, sometimes the answers I gave did not warrant further discussion on the matter ; )

    Enjoy that tofu and veggies in peace girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. There are so many other things about me that warrant the looks but people choose the vegetarian thing to get there panties in a bunch. It's a strange world.

    ReplyDelete