Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Why a Blend?

I've had a lot of questions lately as to why I make my containers with a soy blend instead of just straight soy or paraffin. Well, my answer is very simple. I like them better blended. No, really, I do!

I've tested many waxes over the past couple of years. Straight soy and straight paraffin. I loved the look of the soy. Creamy and smooth. (Kind of like Butter!) Paraffin has it's own unique look and the scent throw is awesome. Soy is a fickle beast to work with. It frosts, it cracks and sometimes it just doesn't work well with a particular fragrance. for larger containers, you have to double wick.  Paraffin seemed to throw each fragrance very well, but it had too much soot. It also required re-pours and I simply do not have the patience for re-pours. So in an effort to find the best of both worlds, I blended them. I blend 80% pure soy with 20% paraffin. Voila! After some tweaking and patience I've come up with the perfect blend. They have the creamy appearance of soy without a lot of the fickleness. The paraffin smooths them out and and shortens the cure time. You then have a Wickful Things candle!

So what do you get from a Wickful Things candle? You get a strong smelling, beautiful candle that has little to no soot and lasts a long time. They burn all the way out to the edge with little to no hangup and wasted wax.

I may not be good at a lot of things but I make an AWESOME candle. I also make awesome soy tarts and melts for those who prefer pure soy. I like to think of my candles as mostly pure with a little bit of wicked. Just like me:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment